So, a bit of a background, I love ocarinas and flute intstruments. I decided since I have played for years that I would try and pass on my skills, tips and tricks onto other eager ocarina enthusiasts! But I learned a lot:
1) With a society that loves quick results, so many people seem to think it will take only a few lessons for awesome results. It will take months or years to get amazing results, unfortunately. This is something I try to explain to my students when we first begin, though most students will think that they can be the next rising star, and this is where most of the problems come from.
2) Most students are only attending to learn that ONE song, forgetting that there are skills, techniques, and that we have to learn those simple songs before we can melt out songs.
3) Everyone has a problem area. Including myself!
4) To always prepare a variety of pieces for the student to choose from.
5) Yes, I have silly techniques, but yes, I know from my own flute lessons that they DO WORK! And you have to stick by them.
6) All students get frustrated, but it helps to show them the light at the end of the tunnel.
7) Eventually all students think they can do better than you, sometimes they just never show up again, sometimes they turn impatient, and sometimes, just sometimes, you get those special students who will stick through to the end…. and come back for more!
8) Take the chance for odd requests to grow your music stash!
9) Not all students can read music, and will need finger charts/tabs before it clicks in. But making good notes with cheats can help them learn!
10) Not all students will come out victorious. But if you can walk away learning something, and knowing they have gained at least ONE thing, hold your head high!